Monday, May 28, 2007

May 28, 2007 HDR Thriller (chain)

Stuttgart Solitude. Originally uploaded by мѕс (мsc_pњτо). Click on pic, see it in Flickr.

Ever have a day when you can't get a song out of your head? I chose the search word today based on listening to an old Aimee Mann song, which definitely has had that characteristic for me today:

Jacob Marley’s Chain
Aimee Mann

Well, today a friend told me this sorry tale
as he stood there trembling and turning pale
he said each day's harder to get on the scale
sort of like Jacob Marley's chain.

But it's not like life is such a veil of tears
it's just full of thoughts that act as souvenirs
for those tiny blunders made in yesteryear
that comprise Jacob Marley's chain.

Well, I had a little metaphor to state my case
it encompassed the condition of the human race
but to my dismay, it left without a trace
except for the sound of Jacob Marley's chain!

Now there is no story here that’s left to tell
so I think I'd rather just go on to Hell
where there's a snowball's chance that the personnel
might help to carry Jacob Marley's chain.
Help to carry Jacob Marley's chain…
carry Jacob Marley's chain.


Aimee Mann certainly has a way with words, and put to music they are very haunting. For convenience, below is the song link in Rhapsody (No, I don't have itunes because I much prefer subscription downloads). If you already have Rhapsody, it will run directly; if not, you can download Rhapsody for free and get several free plays, I think)...http://rhaplinks.real.com/rhaplink?rhapid=3408600&type=playlist&title=Playlist&from=e200rbb

If you do give a listen, be prepared for it to roll around in your head a while.

6 comments:

Lynda said...

Compelling and provacative... I relate to this and liked it much... good work

HDReader said...

Thanks, Lyn, for stopping by, and thanks for the comment. Please do again.

Brenda Starr said...

The photograph is very moving, and I love Aimee Mann, by the way.

HDReader said...

Thanks, Laurie Anne. No Aimee Mann compliment goes unresponded to here...she is definitely gifted. Got a fav song of her's?

Brenda Starr said...

HD, first let me tell you thanks for exposing me to this type of photography. Although I work in a creative field, I've somehow missed this. Aimee Mann, I love Wise Up and Save Me. I am not as familiar with her stuff as I would like to...any suggestions?

HDReader said...

"Wise Up" and "Save Me" are great songs. As for other suggestions I can say that Aimee's last two studio albums have been exceptional. She's such a poet.

"Lost in Space" (there are two versions of Lost...both are great but one is a special edition double CD with some live material which is highly recommended).

"The Forgotten Arm" which is a concept album that tells the story and travails and travels of of John (a boxer) and his girlfriend Caroline. A real relationship study under the specter of addiction. My favorite track is "Little Bombs".

If you get the chance to hear these, let me know what you think.

Previous Pics