Sunday, April 22, 2007

April 22, 2007 Special Post


Oasis ..., originally uploaded by asmundur. Click on pic, see it in Flickr.

You all know by now that I can sometimes offer nonstandard fare on the weekend. So in addition to my regular posts below, I posted this one above. Although this shot cannot be used as a Thriller (there's just too much noise), I thought it was just too interesting to pass up. My geologist friends will take note that this is a geothermal hotspot which creates an "oasis" in an otherwise wintery scene. I find it beyond fascinating that the spatial dimensions of a geothermal hotspot can be mapped botanically with such a precise footprint. Very cool...mother earth at work. I guess it shows that climate doesn't come from above the ground exclusively. And where in the world is this gem?...Iceland of course. Here it is in large, where you'll see the noise becomes noticeable.

No comments: